Organic Sunscreen for Kids
A lot of parents are considering organic sunscreen for kids. It’s never too early to begin protecting your child’s health from the negative effects of too much sun exposure. Over exposure to ultra violet rays of the sun can cause sun burns, skin irritation, uneven skin tone and skin cancer. Anything you ingest or put on your skin can be absorbed by the body. These include toxic and harmful chemicals used for conventional sun blocks. Organic sunscreen for kids is safer and healthier for our children and babies because they don’t contain any synthetic ingredients.
Organic foods, beverages and cosmetic products have to follow certain standards set by the USDA National Organic Program to be able to legally bear the U.S.D.A. Certified Organic label. These labels are like accreditation and proof that the products are indeed organic or contain natural and safe ingredients. Organic sunscreen for kids also has to comply with these requirements. The guidelines and restrictions are listed below. Any product that cannot comply with each criterion cannot claim to be USDA approved.
- Synthetic ingredients must be manufactured or processed without the use of synthetic materials.
- All ingredients must be free from radiation. Products must not use ionizing radiation or be irradiated during production.
- Each finished product should contain at least 95% organic ingredients.
When looking for kids’ organic sunscreen it is also important to look into each and every ingredient contained in a bottle. This is to avoid any allergic reaction or contraindication for your children or infants. Although the ingredients are supposedly all-natural, some kids can be allergic to natural substances. Most organic sunscreen for kids contain the following ingredients.
- Oxybenzone is a natural chemical compound that prevents ultra violet rays from entering the body. It blocks the invisible harmful rays from penetrating skin.
- PABA or para amino benzoic acid is a non-toxic ingredient that is also responsible for filtering UVB rays from damaging our skin. It’s an effective ingredient that blocks the sun’s harmful rays but is also known to cause rashes and allergic reaction on sensitive skin. Kids often have delicate skin and might have adverse reactions to PABA. Check with your paediatrician before using organic sunscreen for kids that contain PABA.
- Zinc oxide is an inorganic compound but is an essential ingredient for sun blocks. USDA Standards dictate that a product needs to be 95% organic and natural making a little zinc oxide allowable. Zinc oxide isn’t absorbed by the skin which makes it quite safe for children.
Some popular organic sunscreen for kids is Sunbrella’s JASON, All Natural Baby, Soleo Sunscreen, Alba Botanical, and Doctor Robin for kids. They all contain SPF 30 except for JASON which is SPF 46. It is important to consult with your child’s paediatrician before using any sunscreen product whether organic or inorganic. Always check the label for ingredients that can possibly cause allergic reactions or contraindications. If your child is experiencing any medical treatment or illness, it is better to consult with a doctor first before applying the sunscreen.